Saturday, October 5, 2013

He's the King of New York


 
Boy oh boy, do I ever love New York City! I love the magic of Times Square. I love Broadway musicals.  I love the beauty that is Central Park.  I love the majestic Lady Liberty.  And I loved spending this weekend with my family, Grandma Michelle, and Papachelle (Sara's name for Grandpa Tom)! 
 
Fall is the perfect time of year to visit the Big Apple because you can comfortably be out and about.  There may be a slight chill in the air, but that's perfect weather if you ask me.  Grandma Michelle and Papachelle so graciously treated us to one fabulous weekend to celebrate Zach's 12th birthday.  We started the weekend off with a BANG watching one of my favorite Disney musicals, Newsies.  I first fell in love with this show in college and couldn't wait to see it on Broadway.  And it was fantastic!   
 

The lines to the song "I'm the king of New York" sure took on new meaning as we sat there in the theatre:

A mezzanine seat to see the flickers
Havana cigars that cost a quarter
An editor's desk for the star reporter
Tip your hat
He's the king of New York
How 'bout that!
I'm the king of New York

This was Sara's first trip to New York.  After we checked into the hotel we headed down to Times Square.  She was mesmerized by the people and the hustle and bustle of it all.


We took a horse-drawn carriage ride in and around Central Park.  I have never done this before so I was pretty excited to do it as well.  As you can clearly see, the girls had a pretty great time.  By the way, those $5 sunglasses were a worthwhile investment!






On Sunday, we rode the ferry across the Hudson River and landed on Ellis Island.  You just can't fully grasp the grandeur of our Lady Liberty from the movies, pictures, or even from the other side of the river.  She is quite a sight to see.  While our ancestors didn't enter the country here, so many did.  They came here for freedom and the opportunity for a better life.  I so often take for granted the freedoms and opportunities I have been blessed with.  This ended up being a great history (and life) lesson we had with the boys.





Thank you so much Grandma Michelle and Papachelle for an amazing and super fun weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment