As I thought about how to spend Memorial Day weekend I tried to think of something that wouldn't be too far away or crowded (like the Shore), but WICKED fun! So I picked Washington, D.C. It actually turned out to be a great day to visit, being Memorial Day weekend and all.
The WWII memorial was our favorite. We tried to add more meaning to it for the kids by telling them about 3 of their 4 great-grandfathers who served in the war. I hope they got something out of it other than just wanting to wade in the fountain pool.
We saw the Korean War Memorial,
and Tom read the Gettysburg Address to the boys.
The annual Rolling Thunder parade was in town where tens of thousands motorcycles rolled through town. (We were thinking about you, Burts!) I've never seen so many Harley Davidson's in my life!
This was the view Sara had during our family trip to D.C. She wasn't even awake for her Metro ride.
If you ask me, it was WICKED fun! (Please don't ask the other members of my family because I don't think they'll use the words "WICKED fun" to describe their day in the city. They might, however, say it was "WICKED HOT" with the temperatures reaching the 90's.) The best part was just being together!
what a neat way to spend Memorial Day. . . I love it!
ReplyDelete